Cathedral 19 Bishops 11
Golden Goal for Oaks over Harvard-Westlake
12-11 Final
Does not get any better than this. Top 4 teams are from, Bay Area, SD county, Orange County, LA county. Wish my daughters could have played in these type of tournaments
I think they outscored them 6-1 or 7-1 in the second half. They just kept running dudes into the pool.
Insane ending to that Oaks-Harvard game. HW was in control, up 10-8 well into the fourth when Siafaris was majored. After reviewing footage he only had two exclusions. Hard for me to say that HW wouldn’t have kept that lead with Siafaris in. Detrimental mistake from the table to end HW’s South Coast run
I don’t know if I angree, both teams battled back and forth with the lead only ever being two goals for either team.
Yes, HW had one of their best players majored but Oaks played the fourth period and overtime without their head coach (red card). Ultimately I do believe how teams respond to setbacks is what makes the difference. There was a tremendous effort by both teams.
It’s also worth noting that once upon a time Corso had coached at Harvard-Westlake. Definitely a full circle moment to be head coaching against them
Corso is the undisputed GOAT. It was a battle all game, but not surprised to see Oaks come away with it. I put my money on OAKS winning CIF this year. Come back to this comment when it happens.
Newport 16 Cathedral Catholic15
Wow. Now the #7 seed is playing for the championship. Who would have thought it?
This is exactly why seeding matters. Better games overall if the tournament seeds correctly IMO
Newport 11, Miramonte 10 in sudden-death overtime
Newport Harbor won their third tourney title in a row, and 10th all-time going back to 1978. Congratulations to Miramonte – only the second Nor Cal team to reach the finals of this tournament, operating under this name since 1977. The only previous Nor Cal finalist was Santa Clara, who lost 11-7 to Corona del Mar in 1982.
Now that this weekend is over:
Here is a link to the Google document for next weekend’s S&R Tournament:
Am I misremembering the past or is the S&R a smaller tournament than ever?
Yes, it used to be a bigger tournament.
Yes, only 12 teams this year, down from 14 in 2025, and that was down from the traditional 16 in years prior.
The Harvard westlake tournament took S & R down a peg. It used to be part of the “big 3” tournaments with South Coast and the Norcal one
That’s right. It’s a venerable tournament started in 1994 by Long Beach Wilson and Foothill. I’ve noticed the fields of three tournaments this year have been smaller – Villa Park Classic with 28, South Coast Tournament with 28 and now the S&R with 12. I wonder what accounts for it. Perhaps the rising cost of transportation?
